Sunday, March 15, 2015

Washing Windows

Yesterday was a beautiful day; it was sunny and 60 degrees.  My husband and I decided to wash the windows on our porch.  Truth be told, I decided to wash the windows and my husband kindly agreed to help me.  Neither of us could remember if we had ever washed the inside and outside of the windows on the porch the entire time we have lived in our house.  It was time to wash the windows. As I was washing the windows, I started thinking about how dirty the windows were and how much better they looked.  I knew they were dirty and needed washing, but I didn't know what a huge difference it would make.  My husband wandered in a while later and commented on how much better the windows looked.  Neither of us had known how badly those windows really did need washing until we were in the process.  Later in the day, we talked again about how much better it looked out there.

This got me thinking.  How many times in life have we not known how much we needed we something until we had it? How often have we felt so much better about something once a decision had been made? This happens at work when we change a process or we begin using a particular assessment with our students. This happens when we start walking or journaling or eating healthier or when we break up with a person who just isn't good for us.  Everything seems so much better when we make a decision to make our life better.  Living in limbo is so hard sometimes.

Who knew washing windows could get so philosophical? :-)

4 comments:

  1. Ah windows and philosophy! How often they go together. A chore that enables reflection. You have made some valuable connections in your piece. The words,'I can see clearly now,' come to mind when I read your words. Some valuable thoughts are contained in your thought provoking post. Window wisdom indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah windows and philosophy! How often they go together. A chore that enables reflection. You have made some valuable connections in your piece. The words,'I can see clearly now,' come to mind when I read your words. Some valuable thoughts are contained in your thought provoking post. Window wisdom indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just kept nodding along with the second part of your Slice. It's so true, there are so many decisions, both simple and difficult, that once that are made, are like washing my mental windows. Love that you ended your Slice by relating philosophy to window washing. Who would have thought they had so much in common?! Great Slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I especially love your ending. It is so true how you don't realize how much you needed something. I'm going to be looking around at my house (and life) to see what I might be missing! (Um... the windows DEFINITELY need to be washed in this house too!)

    ReplyDelete