Sunday, March 22, 2015

Brown Girl Dreaming

I began Brown Girl Dreaming a few weeks ago, but as usual, it takes a few weeks for me to read a book.  When I go to bed, I have every intention of reading for awhile, but after two or three pages, I fall asleep with the book on my face and later, my husband kindly pries it out of of hands and off of my face and sets it gently on the bedside table.  I barely move.  Night after night of this and I don't get through a book very quickly. Until I am halfway through it and can't put it down.  I zip through the second half of a book in about two days. 

With a seven hour drive, a husband to prefers driving to not driving and three children who travel quite nicely, I finished Brown Girl Dreaming.  I loved it.  Jacqueline Woodson's story is filled with the hope, joy and sadness that comes along with growing up.  With the Civil Rights Movement, revolution, the south and New York City as her backdrop, she tells HER story.  Threaded throughout is her personal journey as a reader and a writer. She tells how the teachers want her to read faster and older, "But I don't want to read faster or older or any way else that might make the story disappear too quickly from where it's settling inside my brain, slowly becoming a part of me." This reminded me of my students and makes me wonder...is this what they need? How do I help this happen for them? She writes of her "forever friend" and I am reminded of the family of friends I am lucky enough to have in my corner. She writes of her special bond with her grandfather and I am reminded of my grandmother, who always made me feel special and worthy and kind and loving.  She writes about wanting to be a writer and I am reminded of my twelve year old self wanting that very same thing.  I am still chasing the right words. She writes of her composition journal and how "the smell and feel and sight of bright white paper could bring me so much joy." I am reminded of how the empty page just waits for me to write my story. 

This was a beautiful story about growing up and embracing who you are and who you want to be.  

I think reading this book during this Slice of Life journey was perfect timing. 

4 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you got to finish this book. It's been on my to-read list ever since I heard of it, and will move higher yet. I like the way you connect what Woodson writes about with the memories it evoked for you, which I think is one of the best ways to remember a book. The more there are of those for me, the more I like a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing book! I'm so glad you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book seemed magical the way she told the story. Wish I could write like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know this book - but you have convinced me I should find it! Thank you! Sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete