Thursday, March 29, 2018

Trader Joe's

The closest Trader Joe's is about 45 minutes from my house, so it had been a long while since my last visit to the cheery grocery store. I recently read a blog post about favorite Trader Joe items, and I have been wanting to try many of the items on the list (including the French vanilla ice cream and Churn wine--both of which I left with today). The kids and I went to the children's museum not far from there, so it was a convenient time to visit. As we stepped through the doors, we were greeted by colorful spring flowers. A bunch of daffodils quickly found its way into our cart. My youngest child lit up at the sight of the child-sized carts. Against my better judgement, I said, "Sure, grab the cart. But stay close to me." I only had to remind her of this eight times. Like I said, it was against my better judgement.

We grabbed the typical grocery items--fruit, veggies, chicken, milk, pasta. Like a kid in a candy store, I started looking at all of the fun Trader Joe's items I REALLY came here to buy. I found raisin rosemary chips and plantain chips and pre-made pizza crust. I reminded my three children to stay close and, "Please watch out for other people." As much as I love Trader Joe's, it is small and not conducive to three young children. I grabbed a few new-to-me items in the freezer section (tempura shrimp and mango-sticky rice spring rolls). A lovely-looking berry tart also found its way into my cart. My six-year-old son tried a sample of quiche and picked out chipotle-toscano cheese to try. He likes spicy.

We headed to check-out, and I have to say, everyone who works at Trader Joe's is helpful and cheerful. My daughter helped unload the cart while the checker engaged my sons in conversation about the Yoda figurine on display and what they were up to today. We took the bags to the car and continued about our day.

For those of you interested--the French vanilla ice cream and the berry tart were totally worth the small aisle space.

8 comments:

  1. Trader Joe's is usually a weekly stop for us.. I will have to check out some of your recommendations. :) We like to get coffee, butter lettuce, cat cookies, animal cookies, and their chicken broth is amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Trader Joes! You nailed it ... they are super friendly and it is always bursting with flowers. And if you're wondering, their vanilla ice cream is the best! I'm fortunate because it's 5 min. from my house so it is at least a weekly stop for me. Glad it was so enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over a year ago, they opened a Trader Joe's less than ten minutes away from me. I'm embarrassed to admit that even though it's really close, I have never been. The parking lot is not very big, and it's always really crowded, with traffic jams that back out onto a really busy street. Your post makes me think I ought to try it- berry tart. Today is car tuneup day, but maybe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trader Joe's is an amazing place! I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trader Joe's is my favorite!! I have bought the daffodils every time I make a trip there. :) I must try the mango sticky-rice springs rolls. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Trader Joe's is a good 50 minutes away (also in the same city as the Children's Museum). I REALLY need to make regular road trips. Although I am close by frequently, I never seem to make the time to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too! I am fortunate to have a couple to choose from locally. I never walk out with jus the things I went in for. I always find new treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only it were 45 minutes away, try three hours away. Needless to say, I am strictly a canned, dried, non-refrigerated item buyer. That mango sticky rice sounds wonderful. There are items we stock up on and store in the freezer (such as nuts).

    ReplyDelete