Saturday, March 17, 2018

A Recipe and a Friend

Every year on or near St. Patrick's Day, I make a Reuben casserole. Corned beef (or venison), sauerkraut, onions, sour cream all mixed together with rye bread croutons and Swiss cheese across the top. It is delicious. Sometimes I make it at other times during the year, but for St. Patrick's Day, it is my go-to recipe. I am planning on making it tonight along with a Bailey's poke cake that came across my feed on Facebook.

When I pull the recipe out to use it, I smile when I see my friend 's hand writing on the recipe that says, "Good!" I miss her. When I started teaching 16-ish years ago, she and I worked together. We became good friends, started graduate school together, coached volleyball together, and when I left my first job to be closer to home, I wished I could take her with me. We kept in contact. We talked on the phone. We met for dinner a few times a year. We both had children--three each. Life got busier. The dinners and phone conversations dwindled. I haven't seen her in awhile.

Whenever I make this recipe, though, I think of her. Usually, it reminds me to call or text her, which I will do today. No matter where life takes us, our friends are still our friends. No matter how much time passes, I still see her handwriting on that recipe and I smile and think of her...and then I reach out to her and connect.


4 comments:

  1. Proof that food, and a good friend, truly feeds the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when there are reminders like this. .. and I love it even more when there are friends like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love special food for,special days. Now that there’s just three of us, I’ve gotten a little out of the habit. But today there is corned beef and cupcakes with shamrocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "No matter where life takes us, our friends are still our friends." So incredibly true! And I have had so many experiences like the one you wrote about today. Moments when a person will just pop into my head and that reminds me to reconnect. Thanks for this excellent post. and I'm going to look for a Reuben casserole recipe.

    ReplyDelete