Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Dinner

I parked the car, walked along the sidewalk into the busy restaurant. I did a quick scan and found their smiling faces. All stresses of the day disappear as hugs are exchanged.

Every month or so, I meet three of my high school friends for dinner. We laugh, we eat, we laugh, we drink wine, we laugh, we catch up, we laugh, we reminisce, and we laugh. These dinners are good for the soul. It is not uncommon for the four of us to sit at the table for three plus hours discussing everything from our kids to work to "do you remember that time in high school when..." There is something special about being in the presence of friends who knew you when you were a teenager and who watched you grown and learn into adulthood. We have been together through weddings, a divorce, children and losing a parent.

I leave feeling renewed. I leave feeling understood. I leave looking forward to the next dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy hearing about things that are good for the soul. Dinner with old friends is one of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently met friends for dinner, and you are so right, it is good for the soul. We share our frustrations, but manage to spend the better part of our time together laughing, which gives us the strength to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete