Monday, March 26, 2018

A Cup for my Coffee

I open the cabinet to grab a cup for my morning coffee. Handwritten on the cup is, "Best friends forever, never apart. Maybe in distance but never in heart." I smile. This is so true.

I think of us in college, laughing on bar stools, dreaming about the future.

I think of her moving across the ocean to follow her heart.

I think of standing next to her on the day she was married overlooking the sea.

I think of introducing her to my infant son, and the joy in her eyes as she met him.

I think of the laughter.

I think of our kids playing together so naturally--growing up together through these summer visits.

I think of the comfort I felt when I heard her voice on the phone outside of my husband's hospital room on one of the most difficult days of my life.

I think of the wine we drink, the stories we tell, and the laughter that rings out when we sit with our husbands and catch up after a year of being apart.

I think of all the talks we have had about motherhood, husbands, teaching, family relations, life.

I think of how understood I feel. She gets me. She accepts me. Unconditionally.

I think that the ocean that separates us really isn't that big.

I think of how necessary she is in my life.

My kindred spirit, my best friend.




3 comments:

  1. It’s rare to have such a treasured friend. Yes, “the ocean that separates us really isn't that big” encapsulates the depth of your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reminiscing from the act of choosing your mug this morning. And deepened by that hospital memory...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This slice is so full of life and love and emotion. You capture so well the way that an object can embody a whole array of connections and somehow lead us back to ourselves ultimately.

    ReplyDelete