Sunday, March 18, 2018

My Current Reads, Part Three

Recently Finished:

  • The Hate U Give by Angie: Every human being should read this book. It is a look into the life of a 16-year-old African American girl . Starr lives in a poor neighborhood where drive-by shootings and gang violence are a part of life, and she attends school at a fancy suburban prep school 45 minutes away. When she was 10, she saw one of her best friends shot during a drive-by shooting and at 16, she saw her other childhood best friend killed at the hands of the police. He was unarmed. This incident quickly becomes a national headline. The story weaves between Starr's life at school, her life at home, her relationships with her friends and family, all while going back to this shooting and the repercussions for her and everyone in her life and neighborhood. This book gives insight into what Starr's world is all about. My hope would be anyone who reads this book would have understanding into a world that maybe they didn't before reading this book. 

Currently Reading: 
  • Travel Bits 101: The Overseas Highway: This book is full of information and history on the Florida Keys and the Overseas Highway. It was also written by a dear friend. 
Currently Listening to:
  • Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow: 24 hours and 45 minutes to go. 
Currently Reading to My Kid: 


  • The Swiss Family Robinson: Still reading. 
Next up:
  • Cilla Lee-Jenkins-Future Author Extraordinaire! by Susan Tan: I need to get back to books to can actually hand to one of my students at the elementary school. I left this one at school this weekend, so I picked up Travel Bits, which has been on my list for awhile. 
Coming Soon:
  • I think I want to listen to Ernest Hemingway...we are going to Key West this summer, so I think it is only appropriate I experience Hemingway before I go.
  • Listening to Hamilton is making me want to learn more about the founding fathers and the Revolution. David McCollough is on my list now, too. 
What are you reading these days? 

6 comments:

  1. I've been listening and reading to Beartown! It's intense. The Hate U Give is really great--we read is as a school community and had some great conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend How It Went Down by Magoon as a read-alike to The Hate You Give. I accidentally selected them back-to-back, and wow!!! It worked. Both great reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun idea for a slice! I always love a peek into what other people are reading. I just finished Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess, which I really liked. Started Ruby on the Outside by Nora Raleigh Baskin last night. Good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of my reading is on hold during this challenge, BUT, I was almost finished with Lincoln in the Bardo (I don't know how I'll ever get back into it), and have just finished, in one day, A Father's Story by Lionel Dahmer (Jeffrey's father; haunting does not even come close). I have, um, rather wide-ranging interests...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished The Nightingale. AMAZING. It is set during WWII in France, focusing on the heroines of the French Resistance Movement. It was an amazing piece...long, but worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been doing some not serious reading at the moment, and just finished Tarnished City, which is the second volume of a fantasy trilogy technically about magic but really about power, the corruption of power, and revolution. Next up (after some deny-meeny-miny-moe with my library books to narrow it down!) is the new Alan Bradley mystery in the Flavia DeLuce series: The Grave's a Fine and Private Place.

    ReplyDelete