Thursday, March 15, 2018

Dance Pictures

My four-year-old daughter is in her first dance class this year. A few weeks ago we brought home the recital outfit and tonight was picture night. I've been thinking about this all week...what should I do with her hair? How much of the outfit should I put on at home? How many pins will it take to hold that hat on her head sideways? I hope she doesn't have some sort of random potty or puking accident on this thing. What time should I leave work to have plenty of time to get home, get her ready and then get to dance class? Blah!

Well, the night came. I put her tights on her at home and a button-up shirt so as to not mess up the hair (which really wasn't done so much as just combed and pulled back some). It felt a little like prom or something. Off we went to dance class with the outfit in tow. I'm glad I remembered it. Geez, I hope we don't have some freak accident with this thing on the way there.

We get there with plenty of time to spare and I help my little girl put on this fluffy, tu-tu of an outfit on. She was so happy. Her face just radiated joy. My heart swelled. She slipped on her hot pink gloves and we did the best we could with the hat. On went the shoes and on and on and on and on went her smile. The pictures were adorable--twelve or so four-year-olds all dressed up and smily. I am so excited to see them dance in a few weeks at the recital.

When she was all dressed up in her recital outfit, my daughter said to me, "I feel like a princess." I fast-forwarded to dances and cap and gown moments. I hope she is always able to find the joy in these moments as she did today, because life doesn't stay as simple as it is when you are four. I won't be able to trouble-shoot all the problems for her, and my worries won't always be so trivial as to, "I hope she I can get that hat on right!" The worries will grow as she grows. I can't protect her from all of the things I wish I could protect her from. More than anything, I hope she always feels beautiful and loved...because she will always be beautiful and she will always be loved and I will always be there with her to pin her hair and take her picture and feel my heart swell at her loveliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment