Monday, March 19, 2018

Fingers in My Hair

Yesterday I took my four-year-old daughter to the Cabaret show at our high school. Her babysitter was performing, and I knew there would be Disney songs she would know. We went with some friends, there was dessert, and her grandparents were there, too. It was an event! She intently watched the show from my lap or her grandpa's lap as the view was better from a lap. At one point, I lifted her a little higher so she could see better. Her little head rested against the side of my head and I could feel her fingers twirling my hair.

It was one of those moments that I wanted to pause time. Those moments are happening more and more as my children continue to grow and grow. I want to just slow it down...but all I can is hold my breath in that moment, enjoy it for what it is, and remember it always. Because this moment will pass. But I have it right now. I have a sweet, little girl I can still lift into my arms and feel her head against mine. Without thinking, she casually twirls my hair in her fingers, and it feels so natural. We hold hands when we walk into the grocery store. When we watch a movie, she sits on my lap with her head resting on my chest, right near my heart. She tells me I am the best mom ever (she also tells me I make her sad when I tell her no snacks before dinner, but that is a different blog post) and she notices when I wear jewelry. I know these moments won't last forever...they will change as she grows...and those moment will be special, too.

But for today, I am holding on to the thought of her little fingers casually twirling my hair...and I know I will never forget that.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing memory. I'm sure you will tell her this story as she grows up and you will share how special the moment was. I bet she remembers your story and treasures the same thing when she is a mom.

    ReplyDelete