Friday, March 25, 2016

Way Too Many Glasses

We have a plethora of canning jars at our house. In the basement, shelves and plastic trays hold a variety of sizes and shapes. There are random canning jars in our kitchen cabinets, freshly washed after finishing up the jelly or pickled beans. A few crafting projects with canning jars are also scattered about. I love them. I turned a blue one into a soap dispenser in our downstairs bathroom, which really means it was my idea, but my husband turned the blue jar into a soap dispenser.

Recently, probably as a result of all the Fixer Upper episodes I have been watching lately, I decided to use some of these canning jars as glasses. So, I went to the basement and rounded up a collection of jars I thought would make good glasses in a variety of sizes. Then, I pulled all of the rejected glassware out of the cabinet and put in a box to store in the basement. Mind you, I have already pared down our glassware by storing an entire plastic tote of it down in the basement. As I was putting away a few wine glasses by the bar, I kept thinking, “Geez, do we have a lot of glasses.” Seriously.
When we got married, I had a pretty decent supply of glasses, my husband had drink glasses for every kind of cocktail you can imagine, we registered for and received a nice set of everyday glasses and I am pretty sure between the two of us, we had pint glasses for every restaurant and bar we ever visited. And I haven’t even mentioned the vast collection of shot glasses! We both collected shot glasses from our travels when we were younger and neither of us knew the other one collected them. Now they line the top of the bar area.  We have an obscene amount of glasses. Goodwill has nothing on us as far as glassware goes. As I was putting these glasses away, I kept thinking, “We should get rid of some of this stuff.” But, then, I noticed a pint glass from a friend’s wedding and another one from one of my favorite restaurants, and I put them in a box and thought, “We might use them someday.”

This is happening more and more lately. I keep saving things I would not have saved five years ago. I blame my husband. He is a notorious saver. I can’t count the times, though, that I have mentioned something I would like for the house (like a ladder to hold blankets), and he has said, “I have one in the barn,” or goes into the basement and returns five minutes later with the mentioned item. Now, every time I think to get rid of something, I think, “What if I need this someday?” or “That wedding was so fun! I love this pint glass!”

And now the basement storage shelves are out of room.

I can’t even blame my husband. Well, not entirely, anyway. 

1 comment:

  1. I am also turning into a bit of a saver for memorabilia. I think it might be genetic: my grandmother was a NOTORIOUS saver of all kinds of things, useful or otherwise. We cleaned out her basement and found hundreds of postcards, bits and bobs from all kinds of arts and crafts projects, and even church bulletins from decades ago! I think it's great to save meaningful objects...but you have to know the difference!! :)

    ReplyDelete