Tuesday, March 1, 2016

I Am...

When I was in middle school, there was a poetry unit. One of my favorite poems to write was the "I Am" poem...it seemed easy to me--write about yourself, your interests and what is important to you. As an adult looking back on that, I feel like there is a lot to learn from taking a look at ourselves...what makes us tick, what is important to us, what inspires us, what we love. It is in that spirit I begin this month-long writing challenge. And so, here goes...my "I Am" poem.

I am enough.
I wonder why there never seems to be enough hours in the day. 
I hear the laughter of my children--the song of my heart.
I see my husband, my partner, my best friend next to me always.
I want to be a writer.I want to make a difference. 
I am enough.

I do not pretend well. What you see is what you get.
I feel content, happy; life is good.
I touch the smile lines by my eyes-evidence of almost 37 years (but 37 is totally the new 27).
I worry too much about what others think.
I cry when I am tired; frustration seeps in.
I am enough.

I understand I have one life to live.
I say, "Just because you can say whatever you want, doesn't mean you should."
I dream my children go out into this world and leave it a better place.
I try to smile at people when I walk past them.
                   I hope
                                                I am enough. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I could have written this reflection. This is just like me! It is a beautiful reflection. We ARE enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never doubt, you are enough. I love that your children are the song of your heart. What a beautiful expression! Enjoy this month of daily writing and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful and honest poem! What a powerful verse: "I dream my children go out into this world and leave it a better place."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a powerful and honest poem! What a powerful verse: "I dream my children go out into this world and leave it a better place."

    ReplyDelete