Thursday, March 17, 2016

Laundry Chute Etiquette

We have a laundry chute in our house. It goes from our master bedroom to the basement where the washer and dryer are. The laundry chute also passes through our mud room/den, which is great for dirty clothes when the kids come in from outside. In theory, the laundry chute is a great asset to our home. The kids can throw their laundry down the chute and there is less clutter around the bedrooms. Sounds great, right? Well, it would be if anyone besides me in this house knew how to appropriately use the laundry chute!! BLAHHHHH! I can't tell you how many times I go to the laundry chute to toss down my clothes--one at a time so the chute doesn't jam--and there are clothes stuck and blocking the chute. It is not a super wide laundry chute, which is part of the problem. But, seriously--adjust accordingly! One piece of clothing at a time. And if it looks stuck, it is stuck! Pull it out and try again! MOST of the time, the laundry will NOT just slide down the chute. It is stuck. I spend a fair amount of time pulling clothes out of the laundry chute and then putting the clothes back down one at a time. Tonight I seriously considered just putting a laundry basket in front of the chute and I will just do it myself on a nightly basis. I bet you it would take less time and therefore be more efficient. Isn't that what we are all after when it comes to housework? 

Laundry chute etiquette classes begin tomorrow.  

1 comment:

  1. I just had to smile... I had such a "text-to-self" moment as I read. Forgive me for sharing.. Our 90-year-old house had a laundry chute (notice "had"). It dropped clothes into our daylight basement, right in front of the outside door that has a window. Bad as that was, that wasn't why it was removed. That happened the morning the chute tried to take my husband's scalp. I think that was the first week we lived in the house. We never had time to experience "stuck" laundry.

    ReplyDelete