Saturday, March 12, 2016

My Grandma's Porch

When I was a little girl, I LOVED visiting my grandma and aunt. Every summer we would spend a week with them at their house. The best part of the house was the screened in front porch. Some of my best memories were on that front porch with my family. When I think of my grandma, who passed away eleven years ago, I think of her on that porch swing, quietly watching the world and maintaining the steady back and forth rhythm of the swing. Sitting with her on the swing was a highlight of our summer visits. 

Last March, my aunt, who still lived in that house, passed away. With her death came the inevitable reality of selling the house, which came with mixed emotions. When we left the house, the swing came with me. My husband promptly hung it on our back porch. 

Today was beautiful and mild; a perfect day for cleaning out the porch. As I was sweeping the floor and wiping down everything, I thought about how happy I am that I have a part of my grandma and aunt's house--my mom's childhood home--in my home. The little table I used to play "office" at as a child sits out there as well as well as a picture of my kids and me sitting on my grandma's porch. And, center of it all is that swing. I still feel close to them when I sit there. I think  my mom does, too. She sits out there when she visits and it makes me happy that we are able to have a part of that house and them with us still and always. 

3 comments:

  1. A poignant piece evoking memories for this reader as you shared this story of your grandmother. It is often in these reflective pieces that our writing shines because we are writing from close to the heart about subjects we know intimately. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poignant piece evoking memories for this reader as you shared this story of your grandmother. It is often in these reflective pieces that our writing shines because we are writing from close to the heart about subjects we know intimately. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those items from your past are now a part of your future. So great that you could get those pieces and now memories return and new ones will be made.

    ReplyDelete