Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Girl Scout Cookies

The other day I realized we were running low on Thin Mints. Slight emergency! My favorite treat these days is a Thin Mint milkshake. My husband makes the best milkshakes. So, I quickly texted a friend from work (her daughter sells Girl Scout cookies), ordered up five boxes and breathed a sigh of relief. The next day, the cookies were waiting for me on my desk. They were her last five boxes of Thin Mints! Whew!  That night, I tossed the boxes of cookies into the freezer (because everyone knows frozen Thin Mints are the best Thin Mints). Crisis diverted!

As I tossed those cookies into the freezer, I thought of my mother. My mother LOVES Thin Mints. When I was a Girl Scout many moons ago, she would order at least eight to ten boxes each cookie season. She was one of my biggest orders. She still loves Thin Mints. She recently confiscated a box from my pantry as I have a little more access to Girl Scouts than she does, what with working at an elementary school and all. She's allowed to steal cookies. From me. She probably shouldn't steal cookies from other people.

I used to walk around the neighborhood door-to-door style and sell cookies. I remember working cookie stands at grocery stores and how proud I was when I earned that 250 boxes of cookies badge. I have no idea if that is still a lot or not. Maybe the modern Girl Scouts are pushing out like 300-400 boxes.

I love it when students come and ask me to buy cookies. I gladly order a box or two of thin mints, and I think of my mom every time. I think when all is said and done I now purchase more than eight boxes each year, but that's okay because I have to have spares for when my mom visits.

5 comments:

  1. Frozen thin mints are the best! You are so kind to allow your mother to snatch a box from your pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen thin mints are the best! You are so kind to allow your mother to snatch a box from your pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just your title made my mouth water, and then your post...oh my!! What a fabulous idea! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can work a thin mint into my morning smoothie...lol! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just your title made my mouth water, and then your post...oh my!! What a fabulous idea! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can work a thin mint into my morning smoothie...lol! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so what's the recipe for a thin mint milkshake?!?!?! And yes, I cannot eat room-temperature Thin Mints - it isn't natural! :-)

    ReplyDelete