Sunday, March 11, 2018

My Current Reads, Part Two

Recently Finished:

  • A Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds: The word choice and voice in this book was amazing. The way it flowed and felt so natural...it was hard to put down. I read it in two days. The specific images mixed with many conclusions to draw from those images and information made this a very satisfying read. With that being said, I had some issues with the ending...and I will leave that there. No spoilers here. I hate unexpected spoilers. 
Currently Reading: 
  • The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas: The settings and scenarios in this book are similar to A Long Way Down. There are many connections to be made between the books. In this book, Starr feels she lives two different lives--one in the private school she attends in a gated community 45 minutes from home and another at home in the inner city. She is able to successfully keep these two worlds apart--until she witnesses a childhood friend get killed by a police officer. She is the only one who knows what happened, and what happened and what she knows could have serious repercussions for her family, her friends and herself. I am having a hard time putting this one down, too. 
Currently Listening to:
  • Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow: Still. 26.5 hours to go. We just got through the Revolutionary War. 
Currently Reading to My Kid: 
  • The Swiss Family Robinson: It'll take us awhile to get through this one, too. It's so long. They kill a lot of animals in this book. They also seem to find everything they would possibly need on this island. Being shipwrecked never sounded so glamorous. :-) 
Next up:
  • Cilla Lee-Jenkins-Future Author Extraordinaire! by Susan Tan: I need to get back to books to can actually hand to one of my students at the elementary school. 
What are you reading these days? 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I'm actually going to add The Hate You Give to my list (seeing how I am already reading 3 other books). I am so excited to read it now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete