Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sushi First Timer

I love to eat. I love to try new restaurants and new recipes and I love all kinds of cuisines.  But, I have my limits...there are certain things I just was not interested in trying...like sushi.  It's the raw fish. I just couldn't wrap my mind around eating raw fish; I don't even like my steak rare.

Today, I did something that made me very uncomfortable.  I ate sushi...with raw fish in it and everything. :-) And I liked it!! It didn't taste fishy like I thought it would.  It didn't make me gag like I thought it might.  It wasn't even just "tolerable"...I would choose to eat it again.

I have many friends who eat and enjoy sushi on a regular basis.  People just rave about sushi! Even my brother, who is NOT someone who usually pays money to eat food from a restaurant unless it is a pizza, loves sushi.  This caught me completely off guard and was completely unexpected, but for the last couple of months on many occasions my brother has mentioned how delicious sushi is.  Hmmmm, I thought.  If my brother eats sushi and likes it...maybe it is worth a try.

He and I went and bought five different types of sushi rolls.  I apparently embarrassed him when I asked which one was good for beginners.  Anyway, we went back to our mom and dad's house and spread the packages out on the counter.  "You have to try them all." He said to me.  No way was I eating those rolls with the big ol' pieces of RAW FISH on the top.  I was new to this and I was only trying the California roll and the shrimp tempura.  "You can start there.  But you are trying them all." He said when I informed him I would not be eating THOSE rolls.  Well, I started with the California roll and it was just fine...very tasty.  Next up, the shrimp tempura...VERY tasty.  My favorite of the day.  Sushi was NOT terrible; it was great! And so, I kept eating down the line.  I ate those rolls I had no intention of trying.  They were all good! My brother...and all of those other people were right!

Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised when we try something new.

3 comments:

  1. Sushi is definitely scary at first. I love that you finally gave in and tried it! Good for your brother to force..I mean persuade..you to try something new. I'm also very jealous of you because I am the only sushi lover in my circle of friends, so I don't get the option to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...sushi is my absolute favorite! I am the only person in my family/group of friends that will eat it, so I often have to enjoy it at home, by my lonesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep it pretty simple when I eat sushi. It's usually a tuna-avocado roll or a spicy tuna roll. And always with brown rice. (Though lately I've been getting skinny sushi rolls.)

    ReplyDelete