Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Lessons from Dr. Seuss

Today is Read Across America Day! As I always do when I read Dr. Seuss to my children and to my students, I tell them how Dr. Seuss' books entertain us and usually teach us a lesson, too. There are so many lessons his books teach that I want my students and my own children to learn and live by.     Every time I read Oh, The Places You Will Go, and I get to the line, "Kid, you'll move mountains," I get a little emotional and think..."Yes...that is exactly what I want my children to believe." We could all use a reminder now and again that we can move those mountains...because we can. In Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are, Dr. Seuss reminds us that while things may be less than perfect for us, others have it far worse. Humility. Perspective. The Sneetches teach us that it doesn't really matter if we have stars on our bellies or not. Horton teaches us that, "A person is a person, no matter how small." Tonight as we were listening to Green Eggs and Ham at bedtime, we talked about how when we try new things we may find that we like them.  The Lorax lended itself quite nicely to a conversation my husband and I were having with our sons about trees and why we need to be careful about how many we cut down. "Nothing will change unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot." This could be said about more than just the environment. Every Christmas when we read The Grinch, I love the reminder that "Christmas doesn't come from a store." If you do a Google search on inspirational Dr. Seuss quotes, you will not come up empty handed, that is for sure. His books are obviously inspiring. But still. I never get jaded from these lessons. They don't get old. These lessons that we adults need just as much as the children we are reading the books to. And the lessons aren't lost to the children; they get it! Tonight I am thankful to Dr. Seuss. I am thankful to him for creating fun, engaging books. I am thankful to him for writing books that teach our children important lessons about life. Mostly, though, I am thankful for the opportunity to learn right along with my children. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

1 comment:

  1. He does teach lessons in a quiet manner. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins was one of my favorite books as a child. However, I do not enjoy Cat in the Hat. I hate naughty characters! (Hence, Curious George is not my favorite either.)

    ReplyDelete